Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday, the 13th

Today...

I realized that my husband's job is much bigger than the life he and I have built together. Frankly, I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone.
It's just that since he got called out to a fire Sunday morning- at 3 AM, I was pretty sad and bothered that there was a huge possibility he wouldn't be around for my birthday. It got even worse, as my family kept on asking me what we were doing to celebrate. The husband came home last night because they thought the fire (Marek Fire), was contained. However, this morning, it was a whole other story.

While watching the fire on the news, it suddenly dawned on me, that while my birthday is an important event in my life, and the life of those near and dear to me, it simply reamins just that. There's so much more going on around us, and since my husband works such a community oriented job, our home life then becomes secondary to the needs of the community.

I have been a fireman's wife for a little over 3 years now, and this just dawned on me. Odd I know, but for us, it has always worked out that he's been home for birthdays. He hasn't been around for holidays, but birthdays and anniversaries he's been there- at least until this year, when he's missed both. And it wasn't until this morning that I realized, that this is okay. I am okay. After all, there are far bigger things that my husband and I are a part of. We can always celebrate another day.

Life is GRAND!
Super Panda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm ... i've realized for the past three years ,, you're living with a hero!!;'b

yeah, you're right- you can celebrate with kuya milo some other day- there is "TOMORROW" to make up for the lost times ...

Wildland Firefighter Wives said...

Home life shouldn't become secondary. It's just a seasonal thing....but family is ALWAYS more important. I'm sure if he absolutely had to be home with you for any reason (emergency like) he would leave a fire assignment. Hang in there it's almost over.